Media Server: transfer and stream media
- The media server allows it to transfer media (e.g. DVDs, movies, pictures) between Mac and iPad, iPhone or iPod touch and between Mac and Apple TV.
- nessViewer App can access the media server either via FTP client or via the MediaCenter.
- The media will be converted automatically if it is not compatible with iOS or tvOS.
- Media, which are stored on the Mac, can be presented on the iPad / iPhone / iPod touch and Apple TV without having to store the media on these devices before.
- Folders, which are added to the list, will be shown at the FTP client.
- The FTP client will only see the name of the shared folders and not the full path. Thereby access to folders outside these folders is impossible.
- Per default the access to media stored on the Mac is restricted: files can neither be renamed nor removed unless explicitly enabled.
- Beside anonymous users, which have no access per default, users can be added with a password to allow them access to the media server.
- The added users have nothing in common with the Mac users (used at login): this is especially important because FTP transfers data (and thereby also the user names and passwords) without encryption.
- For every user the convertion for iOS can be set which will convert media if they are not compatible for iOS.
Convertion for iOS and tvOS
- This means, that the media has not to be stored triple on the Mac - in high resolution for the Mac and in a compatible format for iOS or tvOS.
Instead media accessed e.g. by an iPad or Apple TV will be proofed, converted if necessary, transfered and then the converted media will be removed.
- Of course media which is already compatible for iOS or tvOS can be transfered quicker - but storing media twice or triple on a volume is wasting a lot of volume capacity.
- To increase security, a TCP/IP filter can be set: e.g. if only the local network should have access, then setting the filter to "192.168.68" will restricted the access to addresses (and thereby devices) which use the same network (if the local network starts with the address of this example).
- A highlight of the media server is the possibility to stream media directly e.g. to an iPad: instead of transfering all the data before starting the presentation, the media can be streamed in small segments. Supported media includes DVDs and EyeTV movies.
- This gives a totally new media pleasure - a solution which leaves nothing to be desired, together with the (ad hoc) convertion.
- For live streaming either VLC 2.0 or Apple's mediafilesegmenter must be installed which are free of charge but not part of our products.
If you are interested in using the "mediafilesegmenter" please contact us - we will be glad to help you with the installation.
Access to the media server via nessViewer App (iOS)
- Access to the media server (Mac) via nessViewer App (e.g. on iPhone) within the local network is very easy - after setup (folders, user) and start of the media server, only the FTP user name and password must be set in the "Settings App" on the device (e.g. iPhone). After this the shared folders of the media server can be accessed via nessViewer App by selecting "Media Files (Server)" at the MediaCenter.
- Access from outside the local network is a little bit more complicated - the necessary setup is explained as tutorial step by step.
Access to the media server via nessMediaCenter App (tvOS)
- Access to the media server (Mac) via nessMediaCenter App on Apple TV is very easy - after setup (folders, user) and start of the media server, only the user name and password must be set in the nessMediaCenter "Settings" on the Apple TV. After this the shared folders of the media server can be accessed via nessMediaCenter App by selecting "nessViewer" at the MediaCenter.